Alberta Ballet School is looking for an experienced Ballet Teacher to support a new partnership with the Lloydminster Catholic Separate School Division #89. As this is a new position the role may evolve over time.
Reporting to the Head of Open Division in Edmonton, the Ballet Teacher works directly in a School environment where there will be instructional and administrative responsibilities included but not limited to:
- Structure and teach ballet classes following Alberta Ballet School’s System of Training
- Teaching ballet from a strong, classical foundation to students
- Maintain appropriate staff/student relationships
- Counsel students as required
- Attend demonstrations, auditions and lectures
- Participate in the audition selection process as required
- Produce written assessments on student progress
- Record and report on student attendance
- Communicate with parents of students as required and take notes of conversations with parents
- Liaise with the School’s Medical team on student injury and rehabilitation
Non Instructional/ Administrative Duties
- Assist the school and students with photo days
- Attend/Supervise rehearsals and performances which include the School’s students
- Attend Year-End Performance (YEP) rehearsals/performances
- Attend staff meetings and training usually within normal working hours but also others that fall before the start, or at the end of each term
Location: NAME OF SCHOOL TBD
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and experience:
- Graduate of a Professional Teacher Training Program is an asset
- Professional Teaching Qualifications with Cecchetti Canada or Registered Teacher Status with the Royal Academy of Dance (RAD RTS)
- Experience teaching both male and female students
- Experience teaching ages 5 - 18
- Proactive and flexible approach to work, willing to be involved in all areas of the School’s (dance) initiatives
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, able to build good supportive relationships with students, colleagues and the wider dance community
- First aid training or willing to attend training courses
- Flexible attitude towards duties and working patterns in order to fulfill the requirements of the role
- Empathy with and a commitment to the aims and ethos of the School
- Knowledge of repertoire from the classical ballets is an asset
- Ability to prepare choreographed dances
- General knowledge of Office Equipment including a computer, scanner, email and outlook
The successful candidate must successfully pass a Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check and complete Respect in Sport/School training (cost to be covered) prior to starting.
Working Conditions / physical requirements
- This job is performed in a school environment primarily working with grades K-2
- Teaching – standing for long periods of time, repetitive movements, demonstrating dance
- Frequent walking, standing, bending and reaching.
- Some computer usage, there may be repetitive motions of the hands and wrists.
- The School operates Monday to Friday; Ballet instruction is during school hours .
- There will be projects and pursuits that may require time above and beyond the typical work schedule including evening and weekends for performances and recitals.
- Employees are expected to comply with all safety regulations
Why Alberta Ballet
- Competitive Salary and Benefits package
- School closures between Christmas and New Years, closed on stat holidays, Summer holidays
- Discount for employee and immediate family for enrollment at the School of Alberta Ballet
To learn more about the School of Alberta Ballet please click here
Please address your cover letter and resume as one document (PDF) to Margaret Dalwood through the company’s careers tab.
Selected applicants will be asked to demonstrate their ballet training in person or via video.
Accepting applications until ideal candidate is determined. Ideal start date is August 2018.