Alberta Ballet School is looking for an experienced Accompanist/Pianist to support a new partnership with the Lloydminster Catholic Separate School Division #89 as an Accompanist for Ballet Classes. As this is a new position the role may evolve over time.
Reporting to the Head of Open Division in Edmonton, the Accompanist provides ballet accompaniment for children's ballet classes as required by the ballet instructor in a school environment during school hours.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and experience:
- Music degree preferred
- Ability to sight read is a must
- Able to play music classes from other nationalities, such as Eastern European folk music
- Follow teacher directions
- Ability to improvise
- Experience in ballet accompaniment is preferred
- Knowledge of classical ballet repertoire preferred
- Willingness to learn and adjust to changing abrupt music tempos
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Positive and cooperative attitude is essential
- Strong understanding of the world of the performing arts
- Ability to understand the role of accompaniment versus performance
The successful candidate must successfully pass a Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check and complete Respect in Sport/School training (cost to be covered) prior to starting.
Location: NAME OF SCHOOL TBD
Working Conditions / physical requirements
- This job is performed in a school environment primarily working with grades K-2
- The School operates Monday to Friday; Ballet instruction is during school hours .
- Frequent sitting and repetitive movements
- There may be projects and pursuits that may require time above and beyond the typical work schedule including evening and weekends for performances and recitals.
- Employees are expected to comply with all safety regulations
Why Alberta Ballet
- Competitive Salary and Benefits package
- School closures between Christmas and New Years, closed on stat holidays, Summer holidays
- Discount for employee and immediate family for enrollment at the School of Alberta Ballet
To learn more about the School of Alberta Ballet please click here
Please include your cover letter and resume as one document (PDF) through the company’s careers tab.
Accepting applications until ideal candidate is determined. Ideal start date is August 2018.